1. Parenting
Bratz Styling Head The two mega doll makers, MGA Entertainment of Bratz fame, and Mattel of Barbie fame, are once again involved in a tussle in court. MGA Entertainment has filed a multi count lawsuit against Mattel. Barbie Styling Head

According to AP, "MGA alleges that Mattel has engaged in acts of unfair competition and intellectual property infringement intended to damage MGA's market share."

"MGA is committed to taking all steps necessary to protect the value of Bratz and its other intellectual property and, through its complaint, seeks significant damages from Mattel," says Isaac Larian, CEO of MGA Entertainment.

Bratz icandy It is true that MGA Entertainment is very protective about its Bratz line of dolls, and has kept its upcoming line of dolls for 2005 largely a secret, releasing the news only through selected channels. Barbie Shopping Spree

As the doll wars heat up, both Barbie and Bratz are trying their very best to gain the majority of the market share in a variety of ways. The two lines often end up mirroring each other!

SimoneBratz One can draw a few comparisions between the Barbie and Bratz lines of dolls for 2005. The Barbie American Idol Line of Dolls can be compared to the Bratz Live in Concert Line and even the Bratz Rock Angelz line coming out soon.

Another comparision can be drawn out with their Bath and Body Products line. Barbie Shampoo Mattel has come out with a Barbie Bath and Beauty Products line with Barbie shampoo's, bubble baths, toothpastes and more. According to the grapevine, Bratz is coming out with a European line of Bath and Body Products soon.

Bratz Dolls have a lot planned out for 2005. Take a look at the Upcoming Bratz Dolls For 2005. Barbie's MyScene line of dolls which is a high fashion line of dolls in direct competition with Bratz's ultra cool looks. Take a look at the Barbie MyScene Line of dolls for 2005.

Barbie LoungekittiesBratz chill out lounge Barbie has come out with a Lounge Kitties Collection. Take a look at the picture. It is very reminiscent of the Bratz Chill Out Lounge!

We will only know at the end of the holiday season whether it is Bratz or Barbie who gets the bigger chunk of the market share. Till then, it is very interesting to observe the two companies turning out great products all year through. It is definitely the consumer who wins this time!
Comments
January 21, 2007 at 2:16 am
(1) Cheese says:

I like chocolate milk…

February 5, 2007 at 5:25 am
(2) toonhed says:

…….aaaaaaand, apparently not one single person gives a flying, flaming rats pa-tootie about this…..I know I sure don’t.
If we are lucky, the big giant toy making bullies will knock each other the hell out and then I can jump in and fill the void in the market with my line of lively animal shapes that are hand made out of my own boogers!….Then I will be RICH!
What the hey….nobody is gonna read this.

March 24, 2007 at 4:21 pm
(3) DIANA says:

I CANT BELIEVE UNTIL NOW SINCE 2005 THERE HAS ONLY BEEN TWO COMMENTS WELL I THINK BRATZ ARE COOL AND BARBIE IS LAME AND LOOKS 47 YEARS OLD

March 28, 2007 at 9:24 am
(4) I Hate Bratz says:

I hate Bratz and My Scene! Both look like hooker trash. I hope both lines go under so that wholesome Barbies, like the Happy Family collection can return to the market!

March 6, 2008 at 11:46 pm
(5) j.kesselring says:

Cityworld Ltd. is glad to announce that it has won the high
court action instituted by MGA over copyright infringements in
their design of Funky Tweenz in respect of Bratz fashion dolls.

an order was made by Deputy High Court Judge Gill at the
hearing of the trial on march 3rd, 2008 (six years after MGA
started their wrongfull action), that:

- MGA’s action against all the defendants be discontinued with
full cost of the action awarded in favor of Cityworld Ltd.

- the injuction order be fully discharded.

- Cityworld Ltd is at liberty to apply for the Court’s directions
for an inquiry as regards the damages recoverable by
Cityworld Ltd from MGA .

Cityworld Ltd now have full liberty to produce and sell its
Funky Tweenz dolls and MGA is prevented by law from raising

further claims against Cityworld Ltd on the wrongfull allegation
that Funky Tweenz were infringing copies of bratz.

September 15, 2008 at 4:41 pm
(6) ROSE WALKER says:

I DON’T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE LAWSUIT IS ABOUT, NEITHER DO I CARE; ALL I NEED TO KNOW IS” WHERE CAN I GET YOUR BARBIE SHAMPOO TO BUY? THIS IS AN EXCELLENT PRODUCT, IT WORKS WONDERS FOR MY GOD DAUGHTER’S HAIR, WHICH IS VERY LONG AND VERY VERY THICK; ALSO THE CONDITIONERS.DO YOU OR DON’T YOU STILL CARRY THIS PRODUCT, AND WHERE CAN I PURCHASE IT.FRUSTRATED CONSUMER.THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE.

September 15, 2008 at 4:45 pm
(7) ROSE WALKER says:

P.S. PLEASE DON’T ADVISE ME TO CALL MATTEL, THEY
ARE, FOR LACK OF A BETTER ADJECTIVE “USELESS” FROM A CONSUMER STANDPOINT.