The Symphony in B. is a musical instrument for kids from B. Toys. B. toys has developed unique musical instruments that are perfect for young children ages 2 and up. This unique toy allows children to be the creators and conductors of their own music. There are 13 musical instruments for children to choose from. By simply placing up to 6 different musical instruments in the orchestra pit, children can compose the sound of their own music, explore the concept of tempo and learn about the aspects of these instruments that would classify them into different musical categories.
- 13 pieces representative of various musical instruments that store upright either on the exterior of the toy or in the compartment in the back of the toy
- The 13 musical instruments have unique colors and shapes that children can match when storing them for upright use
- Musical instrument choices include clarinet, flute, tuba, trumpet, xylophone, drums, cymbals, piano, accordion, koto, guitar, violin and sitar
- Large buttons that are easy to activate for small children
- Integrated carrying handle
- 15 different songs available allow for millions of musical combinations
- Songs include Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star; Alouette; Beethoven's 5th Symphony; The Wheels on the Bus; B-I-N-G-O; CanCan; Eensy, Weensy Spider; Baby Bumblebee; Brahm's Lullaby; Row, Row, Row Your Boat; Pop! Goes the Weasel; Entry of the Gladiators; Alphabet Song; Come Little Leaves; Fur Elise
- Stop button
- On/off switch
- Demo mode
- Tempo button
- Auto-off mode if the child does not continue playing after the song is over
- Lights flash when the songs are being played
- Additional buttons when pushed will activate a light positioned in front of the instrument
- These additional buttons will assist children with learning which instruments fall into different categories such as accompaniment, instruments, melody, woodwind, brass, percussion, keyboards and strings
- Cool see-through design allows the child to see the integrated components of the toy
- Included book with words to the songs
- 6 "AA" batteries included
- Battery compartment that requires a screwdriver to open/close
As soon as we removed this item from its packaging, my 2-year-old son could not wait to start playing with it. All of the 13 musical instrument pieces each have their own unique color, with a corresponding shape on the bottom. In terms of storage, each piece has its own designated space on the toy, as well as inside the back in an additional storage area which is great for moving this toy from room to room.
First he enjoyed simply placing the items in their correct locations. Then we experimented with placing the different instruments inside the orchestra pit and composing our own music. It is very simple and easy for young children to understand the concept and he quickly began rearranging the pieces to alter the music.
There is a demo button on the front which is most likely helpful for shoppers to really experience some of the capabilities of this product in-store, but I will say it has been a distraction for my son. He enjoys activating that button to begin playing the music instead of the red play button, but the demo button does not activate the sounds of the different musical instruments, and it plays in the same order every time.
We have this toy stored on a shelf in our playroom. Weighing in at almost 5 pounds it is a bit heavy for younger children to pick up and move from the shelf to the play area, but there is an integrated carrying handle that is easy for adults to grasp. So you may need to help a younger child with transporting it from room to room.
We did have an incident where the keyboard piece broke in half. I have no idea how it happened, I found it in the middle of the carpet where my son had been playing with the toy. I contacted customer service right away, who immediately responded to my concern by asking for a picture of the broken piece so they could have their engineers make any necessary modifications. A replacement piece was offered to be shipped directly to my home.
This has been a great toy for my son to play with, and though he plays with it at a basic level, I like the integrated features that help children learn and experiment with other musical concepts at older ages. There is a nice variety of songs available, and with all the different musical combinations, when I'm playing with him or listening from afar, I really enjoy listening to it. It's a great toy for kids to learn about musical instruments and experiment with music at a level they can easily control and understand.
Here's an additional list of more unique musical instruments for kids offered by B. Toys.