The Bottom Line
- Flies over grass and obstacles with ease because of "Monster Lift" suspension mode.
- Flips over and runs upside down without slowing down
- Controller has flexible antenna that doesn't break
- Easy to control
- Has a long-range controller so it gets quite far away without losing contact
- Only runs for 15 minutes on a charge
- Takes 4 hours to recharge
- Makes a screechy noise when it's running
- Charging the battery requires taking it out with a screwdriver each time.
- New Tonka RC vehicle is designed to flip over and run on either side.
- It goes very fast and the big tires tackle grass, rocks and curbs with ease.
- Just engage "Monster Lift Suspension" and the vehicle stands up to tackle large obstacles.
- It comes with a nine-volt battery for the controller and a rechargeable NIMH battery and charger for the vehicle.
- Rated for ages 8+
Guide Review - Tonka Ricochet RC Car - New RC Car From Tonka Speeds Over Obstacles
I saw the Ricochet in prototype form and predicted that it was going to be a huge hit. Now that I've played with it and tested it myself I can boast that I was right.
The Tonka Ricochet RC Car is designed to scream over obstacles with ease and it flies through grass and changing terrain. If it encounters a curb it can't quite manage, just touch the "Monster Lift Suspension" button on the remote and the wheels pull in close to the chassis and the vehicle "stands up." Curbs are no problem in this mode!
Unfortunately a vehicle that tough uses a lot of power, so it only runs for 15 minutes on a charge and takes four hours to refuel. My son has asked me about 2,000 times, "Is it charged up yet?"
This is a seriously tough and cool-looking RC vehicle that is extremely fun to play with. It's an investment toy with a long recharge time, but its cool design and 10-out-of-10 fun factor make it a worthwhile Christmas toy for sure.